December 23, 2009

Are we really all that different??

I must admit I sometimes find things to be a bit unfair in life. One of my greatest weakness in life I believe is looking at small things. I lose keys, cards, and even my head at times. I simply don't think about it. This has always been a struggle for me in life. For some reason last year God started birthing a new way to look at him. My view was wrong...I loved worship services and speakers and I thought I always found God there. I believe he was in all of those things. But I must admit I also became a bit about me and my relationship with Christ thinking that the worlds problems would be solved. I knew something wasn't right in my personal relationship and it started to hit me that God wanted so much more then just a service or a good sermon. I started looking at how Christ did such small things to help people and to show them that he was real. Something else I was battling was why did people in ministry has to put on this act and make it seem like they have it all together.

Now I must admit there was a time in my life that I felt that I had to do that. I wouldn't dare tell any student that I didn't always listen to Christian music. One day it really hit me that God is so powerful that he works in some of the most creative ways and uses some of the most unusual people. I was able to see this take place many different times. He took the lead guitar player for korn that was using drugs and made him a believer. I never really enjoyed baseball until Josh Hamilton came along and now he is one of my personal heroes. God has such away in working in our lives.

I tell this story while speaking at schools. In 2002 I went on a Mission Trip to Mexico that changed my life. I fell in love with people there for many different reasons. The week I was there God came in and did a new work in my life that only he can put together. To this day my favorite worship was in Spanish. I knew the melody to song (Shout to the lord) couldn't understand the words. There were about 15 people there and knew that God was in that hot building. While we were there we came in contact with a young boy that was 12 and he was homeless. Now he helped us work and do some other things. Long story short was that he stole money and food from us.

When he did this people I was with became upset with him. The young boy came back to eat with us and the gate was shut on him. He said is Spanish "You are just like all other Americans." What I saw was amazing, the students we took stood up and said "We need to talk to him!" When adults ran him out our youth took a stand. I was amazed and what cooler was one of the youth we took lead to him Christ.

Proverbs 22:2Rich and poor have this in common: The LORD is the Maker of them all.

Even though we are all different and made in a unique way, what we have in common is that we come from the Lord. No matter rich, poor, popular, or social reject we have been created by him.

No comments:

Post a Comment