April 21, 2010

This is Your Time

It’s hard to believe that yesterday marked the 11th anniversary of Columbine. It’s amazing how time goes by fast and how things are so different now. Speaking at a school a few months ago they had to have a drill of what to do if a person starts shooting. Never in school did I have to go through a drill, but this is the life we live now. We have all heard the song from Michael W. Smith “This is Your Time.” The song was written for Columbine and has become a song that has touched lives all over. However thinking today I couldn’t help but ponder and question life. I have a great deal of faith in God and I try my best to love and be all that he has called me to be. But the question I have for me is, Do I understand that “this is my time.” It’s amazing how quick life goes by. I have now been a The Mission long enough to see a whole group 6th through 12th grade. I am understanding why it is so important to stick around because you start to see the fruit. To sit and hear them say “Nick you remember when you barricaded you in the bathroom?” or my favorite “do you remember when we stole all of your underwear at camp.” Now I so it doesn’t sound “spiritual” but in a way it is. They are taking the time to look back on life and laugh at our times.

Hearing these stories and receiving the graduation invitations is teaching me to value this time but it will not last forever. Building a positive community and crating a second family is the best we can do with our teens. Understanding that this is our time to make an impact in a way that will last forever. Like many youth pastors there are days to where you become sick of the pranks, tired of kids pointing out you have gained a few pounds, and most of all tired of the relationship drama. But I ask what if those who went in and shot up Columbine had a second family. A place to where they knew they belonged and it wasn’t a production. Could have some lives been spared? I am not sure, but what it cool about God is how he takes the bad and makes it beautiful. My prayer is that we start to understand that our time is now to really shine. It’s time to build a relationship with those in need of the grace of God.

I also believe more and more that our Bible studies are essential to that relationship. Trying to be cool no longer works, but what is cool now is simply being you. Trying to throw in scripture but hide it at the same time does nothing but teach that God is simply a good writer. Sitting down and pointing out the crazy parts of scripture and the beautiful part. For them to understand that Jesus walked where they walk and he cares. Teaching these with in that relationship is important.

Lastly; helping the church understand what it is we are called to. On Wednesday’s and Sunday’s I no longer bring my computer in the church unless I need it. I no longer hang out in the office or with the adults. I now spend that time out in the hall and what a difference it makes. To really to take the time to understand that people are in need of something more than entertainment. I don’t spend allot of time now trying to make it cool. I simply want to make it relational and teachable. I remember the days of no rules and the chaos youth brought to the church. Now I understand more and more that even the rules add a relationship to the mix. My point is that I see more and more that if we want all creation to proclaim it’s time to start being who God called us to be.

We are all different but I am now experiencing freedom in knowing it’s okay to not have the same thoughts has everybody. God knows us and he loves us. but created us all differently!      

No comments:

Post a Comment