June 12, 2010

To Save a Life

Any one who works with youth long enough knows and understands the ups and downs that come with the job. You will have times you laugh and times that you do nothing but cry. For the past few weeks I have been asking myself why did I make the choice to work with young people. Lets face it, there are few thank yous and there is not allot of attention. At this point and for the past six years I have never had the desire to be a lead pastor for many reasons. The biggest reason I feel when it comes to young people you make the biggest difference in a life and can be a part of preventing tragedy by simply loving.

I love the fact that I am a small part off my students life. I have one of the most amazing teams in the world, more than anything else I love the fact they care about our kids. At this point we have a leadership team that has been in place for over three years, with little turn over. Each one of my students is teamed up with an adult and that adult takes care of them. My leaders don't always know that because it happened naturally. I believe the most amazing part is watching God do the little things. Also him breaking our hearts for what takes place in their life. There are times we want to hurt them, but at the end we love them.

I believe the biggest reason I love youth ministry is because in many ways we save a life. From salvation to helping them through some emotions. Most of it never happens on a Wednesday or Sunday. Not in a church or a church function. Most of it happens with in community and showing them something different in life. Not freaking out when they put they're drunk on facebook, but not fearing to talk with them face to face about the issue. Simply loving and not judging.

To all who work with kids in this world, thank you for your time. You are rarely noticed and the first that people blame, but an important part of a kids life.

No comments:

Post a Comment