August 29, 2010

What are you going to do about it??

That is a tough question if you stop and think about it?? I have been challenging our teens to ask the same question. Before I start I must admit that it took me a while to admit I am not good at some things in life. I say that because I believe it is a partnership in the christian life. I have also had to take some time to understand and believe that God has called us all to different things in life. But when we sit around and gripe and complain about something, but yet not do anything about it...we must ask God to show us what to do.

I here all the time people complaining that people live in this country and do not have the ability to speak English. Also that the government pays for refugees to come over and they are using our tax dollars to live in America. I always knew in Abilene we had a population of people who are from a different country, but I never knew that I could play apart in helping them learn our culture. At stop the violence I was able to hook up with IRC and started learning what they offer these people. It really is amazing because the people who are moving to America from these different countries take out a loan or save money to come over here. The government doesn't pay a time. When they move into an apartment the buy all the stuff off of donations and they are giving money to live on for 6 months and then they have to start supporting themselves.

I also learned that IRC lost their grant to have a staff member to teach ESL, so who are they leaning on?? It's the church and the people in the church. For whatever reason God really started showing me that I was to be apart of something with them and our youth. It's awesome because we have been talking about it this was on one of our youth facebook....
  
Zai cody and i met some very intresting foreign exchange students today and i hope to see them tomorrow!

I found this to be cool because they invited them to church and they said "no" because they were Buddhist. But the bright side is they are building a relationship. I pray this continues and that they make an impact. At the same time we have the chance to "adopt" a apartment complex or a family to make an impact. Most of these people do not have transportation and going to an ESL class is hard, but we can do so by going to them. I am praying about how this looks, but I believe these people need the chance to live in a place of freedom.  
  

1 comment:

  1. good words bro, irc contacted me today about you...I offered our facility to them anytime they need it...glad your getting plugged in with them...

    ReplyDelete