October 4, 2010

Be a Hero Part 1

 

The word hero is a word that we throw around when we speak about our military, public servants, or anyone that does something that is extreme. All of those are actions and jobs that should be noticed, but I want to spend some time showing how we all can be a hero to someone else.

It's amazing to how God places the wrong people to do a job that they are not equipped to do. Maybe lack of skills, knowledge, or will power. God will take that person and give them a task that they can only do through the strength of God.

Nehemiah was no different, he was a cupbearer to the king. His job was to test the wine to make sure their was not any poison in it. What could God do with this man. Chapter one we read his prayer and plea with the Lord.  

Chapter two is the most beautiful to me for many reasons. What I find is a real hero, this is a guy who is really not all that much. But this guy didn't allow his status to stand in the way of his heart and he was able to go to the King to get permission to go and be the person to help rebuild the wall of Jerusalem. His wish is go and help these people see something that seems impossible to most. 
 11 I went to Jerusalem, and after staying there three days 12 I set out during the night with a few men. I had not told anyone what my God had put in my heart to do for Jerusalem. There were no mounts with me except the one I was riding on. 

Nehemiah 2:13-16 By night I went out through the Valley Gate toward the Jackal Well and the Dung Gate, examining the walls of Jerusalem, which had been broken down, and its gates, which had been destroyed by fire. 14 Then I moved on toward the Fountain Gate and the King's Pool, but there was not enough room for my mount to get through; 15 so I went up the valley by night, examining the wall. Finally, I turned back and reentered through the Valley Gate. 16 The officials did not know where I had gone or what I was doing, because as yet I had said nothing to the Jews or the priests or nobles or officials or any others who would be doing the work. 

I love the fact that he went first and then after verse 16 he gives the vision to the people and even though not everyone was with him he went ahead and used the people to build a team to change the world as we know it. Chapter three goes through all the people that helped rebuild this wall. You read about business men, families, priest, and others make repairs to this wall and help rebuild this wall.

This reminds me of what is taken place in Haiti right now. Also what took place in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. We saw cities go town with in just moments and people questioned is this the end. Sometimes we think as Americans our job is to go in and fix the issue. That can be so far from the truth. Our job as people who love God is to go in and use them to rebuild whatever has been taken down.


I have this deep concern at times for our way of thinking. Many times we see the issue but yet do nothing about it. We will encourage Godly people to move out of neighborhoods, put our children into christian schools, or look for Christian jobs. When we do that we separate ourselves with those who have lives that have been knocked down by drug abuse, anger, family issues, or whatever else. We can't be the person to rebuild them back to what God wanted, but we can be the person that gives them the vision of what God has for them.

So here is what I believe a Hero is, someone that is the most unqualified person taking the job to help rebuild someones life. He/she sits quietly in the church, he really don't have role but they see and need and it breaks their heart. Because of the broken heart they take action. I believe we need more people like that in the world.

But we have to keep in mind that this is not always popular. Tomorrow we will learn that people became upset and said it wouldn't work. But God had other plans.    


No comments:

Post a Comment