November 10, 2010

Impact of the Gospel

Many times in youth ministry we tend to give a small part of the gospel and not the whole Gospel. I have set up our youth ministry to where it is okay to not be okay. Small groups are now our big thing and I see many youth groups switching to this style in Abilene. All of my students know who Christ is as an idea, but in reality many times I believe they do not have a clue.

Just this past week I had someone tell me "It takes a special person to work with the youth at The Mission." About a year ago I came to terms with the fact that my students are no different from other church groups. Living in a town where there are churches on almost every street it becomes easy for church to become a hobby.

Today is Wednesday and once a month we all stick together. I have been praying about what I am going to say. What keeps coming to mind is the fact that we can not sum up Gods love with a bumper sticker on a car. The reader board at church can not sum up the compassion that he has on my soul. There is not a speaker, pastor, bishop, priest, preacher, and whatever else I missed that can speak the glory of the kingdom of heaven.

In Abilene, Texas it seems to be all about what you have and your relationship status on facebook. Our Identity is caught up in our hobbies which can include church.

So how to we keep the church thing not a hobby but a place to be encouraged to find our identity in Christ so that we can go and talk to a world that is lost and needs Christ?

Teaching:
Our teaching style come from Titus 2 and I believe this is the most important. We spend most of our time helping our students to live their life around God and not think that God with live around their life. We spent allot of time telling them the opposite of what Culture tells them. We talk allot about that bad things happen to good people. The idea that because of their parents had some issue that they will always carry that around, we try to kill that idea. Yes their will be a struggle, but with the struggle comes grace and forgiveness.

Community:
Community comes with teaching, when I went to small groups being our big thing and not just a service...the kids hated the idea. Last week I was talking to some of them about it and I found out that these groups is the highlight of their life. My small group was the group of those who were always in trouble. Now in six months God has transformed them into a group that care for one another and come now for the Gospel.

I once said do not bring friends just to bring friends. Pray for your friends and allow God to lead you. This has brought not only them freedom but myself as well.

So what is my problem with our group?? Identity issues and believing that happiness is found in a relationship, cars, grades, and school status. I don't talk about these issues on here that often but for the last two weeks it has become heavy on my heart. At one point I had a group that thought they were God's gift to men and not they have started showing that they are hurting and are in a deep need for Christ.

I believe this is a great spot to be.... this year I had a young man that was caught up in football and though nothing could get him down. A injury put him out for the seasons and has forced him to see God for who he really is. Another student crying out for help on facebook because a girlfriend broke up with him, now he slowly starting to see that his relationship with God is more important. Three kids court ordered to anger management and seeing that their eyes are slowly closing to selfishness and opening to grace. 

Here is what is beautiful, I know I CANT do anything about it other then pray. My prayer is that when we teach and show community we do it in away that is different from culture. I have learned that todays teens have had a shift in how they see Church. I have learned that they hate people trying to trick them into the gospel and have a greater respect for those who are honest. They could careless for the building but care more about building a relationship. They have deep concern for the world around them.

When I think about this I am slowly seeing God's love changing his people. It's a Paradox......

I stopped right there because as I was writing this the phone started ringing and it was my mother telling me that they found my cousin dead.

So I will wrap this blog up this way... life is short and in our youth ministries are we truly making the impact that we need to with the gospel of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment