April 2, 2012

The secret

I haven't talked much about it in a public way, but as time goes by I feel it's important. I have ADHD and have learned in the recent weeks how severe it really is when it's not treated.

Growing up I was a ball of energy. Sitting in front of the tv was not something I did a lot. Reading? Haha yeah right. I couldn't focus long enough to really play sports. I was a mess. But not much was done about it. Growing up in the 90's there was such a debate about it. So I wasn't disruptive in school we just didn't seek help.

On top of that I was diagnosed with dyslexia. That was something my parents seeked help on, I got it. I had the best teachers who loved me for who I was. I remember being told I was going to go far in this world.

As I learned in the past several weeks those two go hand in hand with each other. When your younger the ADHD is something that is tolerated. As you get older it's looked down upon. I always knew something was wrong. I really would try hard, but seemed like I would mess things up. I would lose things like crazy. I would forget things and I couldn't sit at a desk.

But I learned something as well with it. It makes me good at what I do. I see things I shoot it (with a camera). I was told by a counselor the best thing I can do is use it to my advantage, make jokes about it and move on. I am on medication for it because it was messing with my health BIG TIME.

The best medication has been being honest. I told our youth kids, the response was awesome from our jr high was awesome...I heard a lot of me to. Haha I've changed the way I teach to help them and me. I go in with one point now. I allow time to chill out for a few minutes. It's working. Ask them about Paul, the book of Galatians.each student has a spiral and the right the verse down we are lookin at. They get it and I get it.

Ok so this post is a little long. But in the last month I've found hope and peace. I joke about it, but also understand how hard it can be. So I believe being honest about it is the best medication.

No comments:

Post a Comment