February 1, 2010

Fear is it good??

a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.
So many times in our walk of Christ we tell people to not have fear and to just trust in God. But it's natural to have fear of something in life. For me my fear is with in failure and it has been a struggle I have had for a while. Now it would be easy to blame in on my past, but I believe it has more to do with what I expect from myself and what others expect. For that reason I put off schooling because the fear of the classroom, I knew I needed something but it was something I needed to battle on my own and for God to show me a direction.

I can't but help but think that when our country was attacked on September 11th the fear people had as they called on the name of Jesus. Also I ask myself that when our troops are out fighting for our freedom what fear they must feel. The victims from Haiti the fear they have as I write this... I understand the Bible tells us to not fear and to to believe that Christ is our provider. I believe that 100% because the Bible is 100% true. However I have been asking myself could it be that fear also draws us closer to the cross.

Luke 22:41-44 He pulled away from them about a stone's throw, knelt down, and prayed, "Father, remove this cup from me. But please, not what I want. What do you want?" At once an angel from heaven was at his side, strengthening him. He prayed on all the harder. Sweat, wrung from him like drops of blood, poured off his face.
We all know and understand this story because this is a huge part of our faith. But I ask myself, what was Jesus thinking at this time. He knew how the story would turn out and he knew he had to do so. But the question is was this just stress or fear? I am not sure I have the answer, but he knew what was going to take place. As we continue to read we know his disciples fall asleep when he asked them to pray.
He got up from prayer, went back to the disciples and found them asleep, drugged by grief. He said, "What business do you have sleeping? Get up. Pray so you won't give in to temptation."
This is what I am starting to see more and more how God has such an amazing ability to show us that he doesn't really need us, he desires to use his children to bring Glory to his name because of the love he has for us. I believe we must have moments to where everything is upside down and we're not sure what direction to go. At that moment we allow him to have full control of our lives.

Now I also believe fear can be something bad as well when we do not take that step of faith that God has asked us to take because the fear of what man might think about us or for the fact we might lose everything.

John 12: 42-46 Yet at the same time many even among the leaders believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they would not confess their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue; for they loved praise from men more than praise from God.Then Jesus cried out, "When a man believes in me, he does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. When he looks at me, he sees the one who sent me. I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.
When we have faith and we never confess it because of what people might think or the fact we might get in trouble should never looked at as ok. Because it is not and I believe some of the greatest people have been those who took a stand. I know people who look at the "law of the land" and believe that we should obey all of those and not risk getting trouble. I believe in obey the law of the land, however when it goes against what the Bible has made clear I can't for a moment believe that God will punish us for that. I mean look at Paul who was locked up. Paul knew he must do what is right in order for God's will to be done in life. For me in a class room I always respected other people beliefs, however mine were very clear. I have met some amazing teachers who the same thing and I have so much respect for that.

So fear can either draw us closer to the cross or further away from the cross. So fear can be good and bad. My prayer is that the fear I have I learn and day by day draw closer to the cross of Jesus Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment