February 15, 2010

Pamper

Proverbs 29:21 If a man pampers his servant from youth, he will bring grief in the end.
On this I tend to stay away from programing for youth ministry and going into details about youth ministry in America. However today I read this and it hit me hard as a youth pastor and the youth of today. For the last year or so God has really convicted me of how I run a youth ministry and the American youth group. I believe we have community down and even discipleship as far as teaching the word. My fear is that many times we miss the big picture because we pamper our youth for numbers and to keep the church happy. Let be honest the first question that is asked is "How many kids do you have?" So when you are a person that has the ability to draw great numbers and build a program that is producing "fruit" but at the end is that what we are doing. Please understand that I am not saying that all youth ministry is bad, because it is not. I believe we are doing a great job in many areas. I also believe that sometimes we hold back.

Watch this video from Francis Chan as he talks about Flavorless Salt. Then come back and I hope you have a better understanding.

Going back to proverbs and reading that makes me wonder if we could do something different. If all we do is pamper (To give in to; gratify: He pampered his ambition for wealth and fame.) do we just allow them to continue to live in a way that dishonors God.


2Timothy 2:22 Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
I see more and more a group of people who are in trouble with themselves. I understand the Lord loves them, but he also has a plan for them. Because we refuse to stand up to the world they live in and out of love redirect them to their creator we miss out on something big!  So my question is my don't we become less about our worship bands and style and more at leading them to the Cross of Jesus Christ. Last year we had a wonderful worship team and they were talented. A few graduated and left, then we didn't have much. God is restoring that right now as we speak. But my prayer is that they just not talk and say a bunch of stuff, but that we would lead them to the cross.

We pulled out of a larger group teaching for a bit and now only do small groups. We have lost some people because of it, but I will tell you our students have grown deeper in their relationship. Not because we have an awesome program, but we know whats up in their life. Now we have students who are truly doing outreach and it's less about the fun or prize. In fact I refuse to give a prize out to a student who brings a friend. Did you see Jesus saying to his disciple you bring 100 friends and I will give you an Ipod. No the disciples did it because it was asked of them to reach out.

A few weeks ago I had a student that did something that upset me, but also impressed me at the same time. We missed him on the van so I had one of my leaders go and pick him up. Before the leader could get there he had already left walking to Church. The walk is four miles through Abilene for him. He cam to church at a super bowl party a year ago and has been there since. This is the first thing that he has ever stuck with in his life. I have had the chance to lead him to Christ and baptize him. I was upset because he disobeyed his mother on leaving, but he walked it was important to him.

He came from a Superbowl party so God used it. I am all for the events and I believe God uses them. I also believe that we much challenge our youth in obeying God as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment