February 9, 2010

Set the World on Fire

Set the World on Fire (Britt Nicole) v2 from Bryan on Vimeo.

Chad has been on this series about goals and plans in life. I must admit it has been life changing for me in many ways. But I must admit what has stood out to me the most is how many people believe in the power of God, but yet has a difficult believing in the power that God has giving them. I have been learning that the point is for you and I do be weak so he can show that he is strong. I find it to be interesting how he desires to use you and I to change this world.

Today I set down with an old student who graduated last year. Their have been some poor choices he has made, but through it he has found his way to knowing who God is. He has plans to go and spend  to 9 months with a group of young men learning and soul searching. The words I gave to him were "stop asking people and tell them what you are going to do." I 100% believe in getting advice but we also need to keep in mind that we are the ones who makes the choice. At the same time we need to understand that the same goes for other people. Christ gave us the choice and he has trust in us.

Many times in this life we are trying to get other people to buy into our plan or give us the go ahead, but the reality God told to to GO! We have been called to set this world on fire for Jesus. I have been asked several times what is it that I want my students to understand. After a few years of this I know my first year, I didn't have a clue, second year.....well the same as the first, and this year...well not sure. Sounds like I am a bad youth pastor. The reason I say that is I want God to give it to them. I think I know but it changes. I have an idea but I am not sure bt I believe that God will give it to them in the right time.

The one thing I wish student leaders would understand....students could careless about what you say until you take a stand for something. We have very clear guidelines in our youth group now that I didn't have at first. It was all about freedom at first...now it's more about God has a plan for your life and we see something in you...do the right thing. Let me tell you the students have loved it, just as much as they have hated it. We spend less time entertaining them and more time investing into them. I has become less about who is the "leader" and about what the group is doing. I LOVE IT NOW! Because they are called by God to set this world on fire.

Believe in you God and the God in you. Lets trust God and the God in others. Where people weak allow God to be strong. We are little but he is BIG!  

No comments:

Post a Comment