April 4, 2010

Cool note from a parent

I believe it's amazing to receive notes to just encourage you and to say that you are do a great work for the kingdom. Anytime I go to a youth pastor conference the #1 complaint is that people really do not see all the work a youth pastor does. What I am now learning just because they graduate or leave and go somewhere else, there is still work to be done in their life and you will be called. So when I read this today I found my self encouraged.


You have my prayers now and always! I have to say that I love you so much and wonder how you do it. You not only have touched my child's life and have given her a place and group of friends but you have touched mine as well. I love that even though this group has issues and problems (that a parent does not want their own child to have) they still have a place to be comfortable in and not have to "be" what everyone else especially kids think they should "be". They are kids and are going to be kids. On top of that many have adult problems. If we adults can't handle a lot of our own things and issues how do we think these kids feel? And I love that they see each other in their faults and downfalls but know that they are still loved and are in a safe place. They can be more transparent there yet not be bullied or judged and yet be taught right and wrong. I think all churches should be like this. No one is perfect and we all have our downfalls, vices and relapses at times. That does not mean we are unworthy or necessarily bad it means we are human and need God and each other all that much more. Thank you for giving my family that!
It's nice to hear that from a parent. Many times we forget the power of our words and how they can speak life and death. Today is our staff meeting we read from James 3 and talking about the words we speak. I have to admit I struggle with this. I tent to have an opinion for most things and I have to work keeping my mouth closed. I believe there is a time and place for it, but who is to say that I am right??

One of the struggles in working with teens anywhere is that they do things that doesn't add up and you start to believe that they are not the brightest crayon in the box. But when you take the time to look at it from the eyes of God, we are not any different. As we celebrate Easter, we can take the time to know for a fact that Jesus died and was risen because of our way of thinking and sins. It's power to speak those words into people and to show them the love of Jesus Christ. I am working on it and will be doing so until death. 

No comments:

Post a Comment