April 8, 2010

New Vision

I have to admit for some reason the last few weeks I have become excited about the things of God. It's not that I wasn't before, it's just that everything became a routine for me. When I was working I was working in my own strength and that wasn't getting me very far. I talked about it before around Christmas time. I talked about getting away and just spending time thinking. I believe that was great for me. Here lately God has been releasing some new vision to me. I am going to throw it out there...

God has giving me a heart for small churches and volunteer youth workers. Many times I believe those churches get over looked and we have youth pastors who leave because of frustrating and lack of training. Or churches who will take who ever they can get to work with their kids. I am blessed because eight youth workers and 30 kids who come to church. That is 1 for every 3 youth, that was my prayer last summer. I believe the # 1 way to reach a teen is a relationship. That is another reason I will spend allot of time with fellowship events. My point is that allot of times kids at churches have people in and out of their life and you add this to church.

So I am in the process of starting a blog type website for those youth workers. My prayer is that with all the resources I have and connections I can target the heart of the small youth group. Not trying to sale a program or say my way is awesome. Just to say here is some stuff for you to use. Things like the following....
  • How to get your kids to camp when there is no money. 
  • Mission Trip organizations
  • Websites dealing teen issues
  • How to get in and impact your schools
  • Focus on the kids you have
  • How to put together a vision statment
  • learning to say no 
  • dealing with kids who drive you nuts
I could go on and on of what I have learned over the years. I am going on year six of being at the Mission and working with the youth group. If you were to ask my favorite memory, I would say Jr High in a bright orange room full of jr high kids. I asked my self, why? I was at a moment where I knew my gifts and I knew I made an impact. Those were my kids and to this very day they bring me great joy. This year that whole group will all be graduated out and into college.What I have learned through all of this is because I stuck around I see the fruit. Even tonight after church I ran into a kid that I put allot of tear and energy into and he blessed me when he said "Nick I know I gave you hell and you wanted to kill me on days, but thank you" he went on to tell me one of things he noticed was that I hardly missed church and if I did I made sure that I let them know.

When I hear things like that come for their mouth it shows me that they get it. On Monday I will be 28 and I must be honest I am tired at times. I can't do the overnighters anymore like I use to, I need a week off after camp, and I have had every prank pulled on me. I have had condoms put in my car, post-it notes all over my car, prank calls, desk put on bricks, and that is just a few. I have had kids come and go. Students have left because of boundaries I  have put in place. But you know what? I see the fruit, the kids who on a trip in the hotel room took the mattress and traped me in the bathroom is on a journey in the wilderness, the kid who thought it would be funny to still my suit case is now leading worship, and I could keep going!

My vision is to help these people to stick around with the few kids because that is what makes an impact. To tell them that God has a plan and give them tools to work with. Not sure what will come out of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment