April 17, 2011

Who do you think you are?

I must admit I have been thinking a lot about this one. Mainly because I struggle more with this question then most people know. So I will answer as best as I can.

This past week I had a student talk to me, because he felt God calling him into ministry, but at the same time he also wanted to work another job. He went on to say he didn't know if he could do it or not because of how dedicated I was, but at the same time have another job. I thought about that for a second, my response was this. I refused to be that youth pastor that came in for a couple of years and leave. I am here because this is me. I use to think God would only use me if "I was working for the church" Now I understand I am apart of his church. I went on to tell him I could careless if I ever speak, if I was ever popular, or if anyone even remembered me as a pastor. I knew God wanted me to be like everyday people. I love to sit down and have meals with people. I strive to empower other people and for me to step-out. Most people don't know but I have dinner with same student every Sunday for almost a year now. Developing a relationship with his family, encouraged his mother and little brother to come to the mission. I love to hear what she gets from church on Sunday. This also lead to his mom asking me to becoming a God father to this young man. When his mother asked, I was surprised and researched it. I found it to be an honor to simply be that person that spiritually encourage him and to be a part of his family.

I say all of that to say I am someone who wants to be an everyday person. I am someone who struggles and understands people can change. I am someone who had been brought into different peoples families and treated like I am a part of their family. Really I am a person who was created with purpose and loved by God.

1 comment: